Nursing Assistants, sometimes called Nurse Aides, Patient Care Assistants (PCA) or Patient Care Technicians (PCT), are in high demand to assist in the care of patients in extended care facilities, home care situations, and, with some additional training, in hospitals. Working under the direct supervision of a licensed nurse, their responsibilities may vary, but personal care and emotional support of patients are always primary considerations.
This 120-hour course involves classroom lectures, campus lab experiences, and a clinical practicum, which involves working in healthcare agencies with patients and residents. Students must be at least 16 years old to attend clinical practicum. Students under the age of 18 must be selected as a Youth Apprentice through their High School. Those who successfully complete this course are eligible to take the National Nurse Aide Assessment Program (NNAAP) exam to become a part of the Wisconsin Nurse Aide Registry as a CNA/HHA. The cost for this testing is not included in course fees and tuition.
- Communicate and interact effectively with clients, family, and co-workers.
- Maintain and protect client rights.
- Report information and record observations.
- Demonstrate the ethical and legal responsibilities of the NA/HHA.
- Provide safe care to a diverse population, meeting personal, physical and psychosocial client needs.
- Assist with client rehabilitation and restorative care, promoting independence.
- Assist clients with long-term, disabling conditions including dementia, always focusing on the strengths of the client.
- Work cooperatively in a team environment.
- Eligible to take the WI NA Competency evaluation.
View the entire course listing.
|543-302A||Nursing Assistant - Advanced||2|
Associate Degrees and Technical Diplomas are part of a larger model of BTC’s Career Pathways which link related academic programs in sequence. Each program within a career pathway offers direct job preparation and a path to the next level of academic programming. To view the connected program model, visit the Nursing Assistant Career Path (PDF).