All steps must be completed to be accepted into Blackhawk.
Students complete an admission placement test as part of the application process to the college. These scores are utilized to determine appropriate course placement. Blackhawk offers the Next-Generation ACCUPLACER assessment for free, unless students have earned either an Associate Degree, Bachelor's Degree, or completed the ACT or SAT Exam. Any re-test fees must be paid and a receipt presented prior to taking a test.
Next-Generation ACCUPLACER is an untimed assessment taken on a computer that measures skills in reading, language usage, and numerical skills. Accommodations for the Next-Generation ACCUPLACER are available in the Student Success Center by calling (608) 743-4422, deaf/hh call Relay 711. Testing Center hours may vary and are updated on the Blackhawk Technical College website.
Next-Generation ACCUPLACER Retest Policy
Retesting is an option if students believe their scores do not accurately reflect their abilities and skill levels.
- After reviewing the admission test scores, students may retest in each area once using Next-Generation ACCUPLACER.
- Students who have completed Next-Generation ACCUPLACER as part of the admission process MUST wait 48 hours after their first Next-Generation ACCUPLACER exam before retesting.
- There is a fee to re-test. For information contact the Testing Center at (608) 757-7666.
Health Science Assessments
The programs listed below have additional assessment requirements for clinical readiness. Please see an Academic Advisor for program/clinical-ready requirements.
- Diagnostic Medical Sonography
- Medical Assistant
- Nursing Assistant
- Physical Therapist Assistant
- Surgical Technology
Make-up testing is a service provided for students who have been absent and are being allowed to complete an exam per the course instructor. A valid photo ID is required for all testing (i.e. state ID, driver's license, passport, student ID, other IDs approved by testing staff).