All steps must be completed to be accepted into BTC.
Students complete an admission placement test as part of the application process to the college. These scores are utilized to determine appropriate course placement. BTC offers the Accuplacer assessment for free, unless students have earned either an Associate Degree's, Bachelor's Degree, or completed the ACT Exam. Any re-test fees must be paid and a receipt presented prior to taking a test.
Accuplacer is an untimed assessment taken on computer that measures skills in reading, language usage, and numerical skills. Accommodations for the Accuplacer are available in the Student Success Center by calling (608) 743-4422, deaf/hh call Relay 711.
Accuplacer Retest Policy
Retesting is an option if students believe their scores do not accurately reflect their abilities and skill levels.
- After reviewing the admission test scores, students may retest in each area ONCE utilizing Accuplacer.
- Students who have completed Accuplacer as part of the admission process MUST wait 48 hours after their first Accuplacer exam before retesting.
- There is a fee to re-test. For information contact the Testing Center at (608) 757-7666.
Course Placement Retest:
- Students re-testing for course placement may do so after successful completion of their current one.
- Further re-tests will require approval from the approved faculty and/or staff (i.e. dean, director)
* Students with scores older than 3 years are strongly encouraged to re-test for accurate course placement.
Health Science Assessments
The programs listed below have additional assessment requirements for clinical readiness. Please see a Program Advisor for program/clinical-ready requirements.
- Diagnostic Medical Sonography
- Medical Assistant
- Nursing Assistant
- Physical Therapist Assistant
Make-up testing is a service provided for students who have been absent and are being allowed to complete an exam per the course instructor. The following rules will be followed for all testing:
- A valid photo ID is required for all testing (i.e. state ID, drivers license, passport, student ID, other IDs approved by testing staff.