Applying for ﬁnancial aid can be completed months before the start of the academic year by completing a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online. FAFSA determines a student's eligibility for assistance. Students must complete a new FAFSA each academic year. The earlier the application is completed, the more opportunities there may be for certain types of ﬁnancial assistance. The FAFSA application period for the 2022-2023 academic year opens on October 1, 2021. The 2023-2024 FAFSA will become available on October 1, 2022.
Here are instructions for applying for ﬁnancial aid:
- Create an FSA ID at https://studentaid.gov/fsa-id/create-account/launch
- Submit your FAFSA at https://studentaid.gov/h/apply-for-aid/fafsa
- The application for the new school year becomes available on October 1 every year. Be sure to complete the correct FAFSA for the academic year you will be attending.
- For priority processing, complete the FAFSA by April 1 every year.
- Blackhawk’s Federal School Code – 005390
- You must complete a new FAFSA each academic year.
- Submit any additional documentation requested by the Financial Aid Department. Your financial aid will not be awarded until all requested documentation has been submitted.
- After your FAFSA and any additional documentation have been reviewed, the Financial Aid Office will mail you your Financial Aid Award Letter. Review it carefully. If grants are included on your Award Letter, you will not need to take any additional steps to accept your grants. If you would like to accept loans that have been offered to you, follow the instructions included with your Award Letter to do so.
- Notify the Financial Aid Department of all other sources of assistance you will be receiving for attending Blackhawk, such as scholarships and tuition assistance from employers. All sources of assistance must be made known to the Financial Aid Department to ensure that your financial aid is awarded correctly.
Students are welcome to stop by the Financial Aid Ofﬁce on Central Campus for assistance. Assistance at other campus locations is available by appointment. Please contact Financial Aid to schedule.
If you have any questions or need help ﬁlling out the FAFSA, call the Financial Aid Ofﬁce at (608) 757-7664 or toll-free at (800) 498-1282 ext. 7664.