In order to graduate students must:
- Complete all necessary coursework.
- Have a college GPA of 2.0 or higher.
- Please note: some programs may require a higher GPA for graduation.
- Completed at least 25% of all program-required courses at Blackhawk.
Students who do not meet the criteria identified and/or deadlines may not be able to participate in the formal ceremony and receipt the diploma will be delayed.
Students who previously submitted graduation applications that did not meet the graduation criteria must re-submit an updated application.
Embedded Technical Diplomas
If a student’s main program encompasses an embedded technical diploma, students will receive the credential once the requirements of the degree have been met without needing to apply for graduation. The embedded technical diploma credential will be displayed on the student’s transcript.
Commencement is currently held two times a year, in December and May, for students who meet the following requirements:
- Are graduating from a program with 12 or more credits.
- Are within six (6) credits of completing a program (diploma or degree programs) by the end of the spring semester for the May commencement or by the end of the summer semester for the December commencement.
- Apply for graduation by the application deadline.
- Pay the cap and gown fee.
- Graduation caps and gowns will be worn for Commencement. Information regarding the purchase of the cap and gown will be provided by the College when a student informs us of their intent to graduate and/or walk at Commencement.
- If a student is unsure of whether they plan to attend the ceremony, it is best to mark "yes". If plans change, a notification to firstname.lastname@example.org would be appreciated.
- Students and guests requiring special accommodations must contact email@example.com at least two (2) weeks before Commencement.
- Commencement will be recorded and live-streamed.
Graduates from degree and/or diploma programs at Blackhawk Technical College will receive a digital diploma available through Parchment.
Paper diplomas for programs with 12 or more credits will be mailed to the address provided on the graduation application within the following timelines:
- Diplomas for the Fall semester will be mailed in early February.
- Diplomas for the Spring semester will be mailed in early July.
- Diplomas for the Summer semester will be mailed in early September.
The Honor Cord program recognizes graduating students who have a cumulative grade point average of 3.5 or above at the end of the semester prior to completing their program requirements. Qualifying students will receive a complimentary gold cord that can be worn on the graduation gown recognizing this achievement of academic excellence. This honor is sponsored by Student Activity Fees. Those who qualify will be notified through the Blackhawk student email. For further information regarding the Honor Cord, contact the registrar at firstname.lastname@example.org.